So my wife is taking a “mommy vacation” this weekend to see her new niece in far far away, and I am teaching Gospel Doctrine for her. I’m a bit nervous about it (because my wife is the greatest Gospel Teacher I have ever met, and I don’t want to mess it up for her), so once again am putting my lesson here for your thoughts and recommendations. It’s a power point, so I know that dings me for some of you, but hey, I may flip it over to prezi for church, if that makes it any less “corporate”…
Anyway, some fun facts from my lesson for those not inclined to look through the power point.
1. Paul compares us to temples in two different ways. The one quoted in the title of the lesson has nothing to do with Sexual Morality, but is an analogy related to the problem in Corinth of clicks being formed for each group taught by a different minister. The analogy is Christ is the foundation, The Ministers are the Builders, and when we are built up in the Gospel on the Foundation of Christ, we are not the Temple of Paul or Apollos, But we are the Temple of God. Paul even goes on to call for missionaries to not be self-deceived that they are building up Glory to themselves.
2. Paul was a tent maker, and worked for Priscilla and Aquila while he was in Corinth. How did I not know that?
3. Corinth is 1200 miles from Jerusalem, that’s like driving from Texas to either Coast.
4. The Athenians coined a slang term “Corinthianize” as a Euphemism for fornicate.
5. Paul promoted excommunication for a member who had Corinthianized with his father’s wife.