It was close, but the BYU offense sputtered in the second half and Texas pulled out a 17-16 win over BYU today.
Here are some observations from the game:
- The defense is still really good. Holding a team like Texas to 17 points should be good enough for a win.
- Having said that, the defensive backs seemed to miss quite a few tackles in this game.
- The loss probably could mostly be pinned on new offensive coordinator Brandon Doman. While he had some solid moments in the second half, the slow tempo, timidness, and predictability of the BYU offense in the second half pretty much sunk BYU in this game.
- Kudos to kicker Justin Sorenson for going 3 for 3 on field goals. (Too bad the offense failed to score touchdowns on those drives instead though)
- The running game continues to disappoint. DiLuigi is a reliable weapon for BYU but Kariya and Quezada have failed to significantly contribute so far this season.
- Congrats to Ross Apo for getting another TD catch. Unfortunately his two TDs are the only offensive TDs BYU has score this season so far.
- Is it just me or does Heaps have virtually no time to pass so far? Maybe it is the quality of the defenses we have seen so far but this vaunted offensive line isn’t buying him as much time as I would have expected.
- Utah lost a heartbreaker to USC today too. Next Saturday evening after Utah comes to Provo one of those teams will be feeling great and the other will be feeling even worse than they do now.
- I am not too freaked out about Doman chunking things a bit. Mistakes are to be expected with a new, untested offensive coordinator. Hopefully he is a quick study and will get progressively better this season.
- The BYU offense looked really quite good in the first half. The problem is Texas made adjustments at the half and BYU didn’t. Hopefully that won’t happen again.
What are your thoughts/observations on the game?