We are moments away from kickoff as I write this. I’ll give updates on the game as we go.
- Even before the game we are forced to talk about that celebration penalty on Locker two years ago. Two thoughts on that. First, it was the correct call based on the rulebook. Second, all UW had to do to tie the game was hit the not long filed goal for the extra point. They instead were blocked.
- Locker is a Heisman candidate. Lots of hype surrounding him. I however suspect the BYU defense will be the star of this game.
- I hope Sark wins a lot of games this season. Just not this one.
- Riley Nelson and the offense on the field. BYU gets 9.5 yards. Punt.
- Washington moves down to the 10 on two big plays. After 3rd and 17 Locker finds many in end zone. BYU 0 UW 7.
- Bronco send Jake Heaps in for the second series. Three and out (Heaps overthrows a streaking Jacobsen on third). Punt. Punter gets roughed. First down. Nelson back. Moves BYU down the field but errant pass on third down. FG attempt no good.
- Washington takes over. BYU D holds. Punt. Bad snap. Punter throws ball out back. Safety. BYU 2 UW 7.
- Heaps is back. Passes look beautiful. Drives down inside 10. No BYU run game so far. FG. BYU 5 UW 7
- Muffed kickoff reception. UW takes over at their 3. BYU catches break on overthrown bomb. Third and 9.
- BYU D holds. (Nice speed by newcomer MLB Leung-Wai) Punt. Chambers fumbles but called down.
- Nelson again. Runs option for 6. Diliugi fumbles out of bounds on third with first down in his sights. Goes on 4th and Kariya gets it up the middle. Nelson looking good too — his feet causing trouble for UW. Touchdown pass to newcomer RB Josh Quezada. Go for 2 and get it. (QB draw) BYU 13 UW 7
- UW gets ball and marches 80 yards for the TD. BYU 13 UW 14
- Heaps gets a couple of first downs then punt.
- UW three and out. Punt.
- BYU marches under Nelson then sputters. Punt. Pins UW at the 1.
- BYU D lays an egg. UW marches down and hits FG. BYU 13 UW 17 End of half.
- UW takes kickoff. Couple of first downs. Couple of penalties. Punt.
- BYU takes over with Heaps at QB. O-line starting to win this drive. Heaps pass a yard short on third down at the 15. FG. BYU 16 UW 17
- UW starts at 5 after another kickoff return miscue. BYU hold them to 3 and out. Punt. BYU ball at mid field.
- Nelson take over. Wide open Diluigi down the middle (blown coverage). Touchdown BYU. BYU 23 UW 17
- UW starts at 15. Big stand by BYU D on 3rd and 1. Punt.
- Heaps takes over. Marches down the field but then receivers drop two straight on target passes. Punt.
- UW takes over from the 14. Quarter ends.
- Locker hits long pass. BYU with sack then holds on 4th down. BYU ball.
- Nelson in. Diluigi killing it in this drive. Personal foul sets BYU back. Cross middle field but must punt after another dropped pass. Punt.
- UW starts at their 20. Move the ball but then drive stalls. Punt.
- Jake takes over at the 20. Needed 10, got 8. Punt. (6 minutes to go with a six point lead that is not good.)
- UW gets ball at their 25. March down the field but BYU D stiffens and bats away 4th down conversion attempt. BYU ball with less than 2 minutes
- Nelson takes over. Look for all runs until this one is over. Nelson keeps twice and gets first down. BYU takes a knee and game over. Final: BYU 23 UW 17
It appears the two QB system was just fine. Both QBs looked good. Interesting how the reports from Fall camp really matched the performance on the field: Diluigi was the primary running back, Heaps throws a pretty ball, Nelson is a valuable dual threat, the LBs are fast, the DBs and D-line are solid, and the O-line wore their opponents out.
The main disappointment of the night was the receiving corps. These guys dropped way too many passes that hit them in the hands. Without those drops this game would not have been so close. The bright spot was the tight ends — those anonymous guys were catching a lot of passes in important situations.
Next up: At Air Force