First, the BYU men’s basketball team scored 110 points in their victory over Nevada today. Jimmer dropped 33 on the Wolfpack alone. The only problem is the Cougs gave up 104 points in the victory. But a win is a win and Nevada is a solid program. BYU is now 11-1 and plays Nebraska tomorrow. If they win that one don’t be surprised if the Cougs crack the top 25 this week.
Ok, on to the other BYU game. At halftime of the Las Vegas Bowl BYU leads Oregon State 23-7.
Things looked ugly at first. With the wind howling at 40 mph in the face of BYU the offense was getting no where and then OSU scored a touchdown that looked way too easy. But BYU suddenly gathered themselves and marched 80 yards down the field directly into the head wind to score a tying touchdown. Right after that the wheels started coming off for The Beavers. First a backwards pass was dropped and BYU scooped it up for a TD. In the second quarter OSU was facing the wind and had two punts go all of 6 yards. Plus OSU got several penalties that helped BYU. The result was another BYU touchdown and field goal. I’m pleasantly surprised at how well things are going at the half. I’ll live blog the rest of the game:
- OSU starts with the ball facing the wind. BYU defense is playing great. Three and out. Fake punt! FAIL. BYU gets the ball at the OSU 32.
- The fans and players looks miserably cold out there in that howling winter wind.
- BYU methodically marching down the field. Harvey looks good. The line is winning in the trenches.
- Dennis Pitta is now the most prolific pass catching tight end in NCAA history I believe.
- 1st and goal. Couple of penalties and third and goal at the 17. Touchdown Hall to Pitta!
- 30-7 BYU
- OSU is marching down the field pretty well this time. Getting open receivers in the middle of the field. Wind seems to have died down a little. But BYU shutting down the running game. OSU goes for it on 4th and gets a generous spot.
- 4th down again. BYU holds this time — BYU ball.
- BYU eats quite a bit of clock then gets a good punt to start OSU at their 8.
- FUMBLE! BYU ball in the red zone.
- Touchown BYU! Hall to Tonga on first down. 37-7 BYU.
- Touchdown OSU after a long drive. 37-13 OSU (missed PAT)
- BYU marching. Harvey fumbles at the 12.
- OSU ball. BYU gets a double personal foul — 30 yard penalty.
- Scott Johnson (the penalized Cougar) intercepts the ball and returns to the OSU 35. Personal foul on OSU puts BYU back to the red zone.
- Manase Tonga barrels his way into the endzone. Touchdown BYU! 44-13 BYU.
- Touchdown OSU (35 yard pass). Then OSU gets the onside kick back.
- Final score: BYU 44, OSU 20
Great win for BYU and for the Mountain West Conference.