I’ll blog as we go.
- First defensive series has BYU coming hard after Andy Dalton and it really works. Three and out.
- First offensive series for BYU is a steady diet of Harvey Unga and quick passes. When Hall takes longer to pass he gets sacked.
- TCU gets the ball back and starts moving the ball. The D-line again can’t get the QB and that leads to big pass plays (like we have seen a lot this year).
- On the second series the TCU offense completely bullies the BYU D. It results in a Frog touchdown that seemed too easy.
- Three and out for BYU followed by another easy touchdown for TCU. 14-0. Something big needs to change or BYU will be blown out of this game.
- Next BYU possession — three and out again. That is just the first quarter. This could get reeeal ugly folks.
- BYU defense start Q2 with a three and out. Good news but then again that is how the last quarter started.
- BYU offense starts clicking and moving the ball. Misses FG attempt.
- TCU gets the ball and Denney gets huge 12 yard sack on first play. TCU converts on 3rd and 15. Lovely. BYU is too slow. Convert later on 3rd and 6. TCU scores again. 21-0.
- BYU takes another whack at offense. Moving the ball nicely and protecting Max well. Get stuffed three times on runs at the goal line. Then finally pass and get in. 21-7.
- BYU D holds and the half is over.
- BYU starts with the ball. Moves things along but a pass bounces straight up off of Kariya and TCU intercepts it for its first turnover. Not a good sign.
- BYU stops TCU on third but get nailed with a bad roughing the passer call so TCU gets first and goal.
- Defense holds again. FG. 24-7 TCU.
- BYU tries again on offense. Harvey looks good again picking up good chunks of yardage. BYU fails to convert on 3rd and 4 at midfield.
- A good punt starts TCU at about their own 10. Bailed out on 3rd and long on a pass interference call. 80 yard long bomb TD. No pressure on QB makes it look easy. The rout is on folks. 31-7.
- The crowd is mellow now. BYU tries offense again. Sacked on third down. Another three and out. This game is over. Really looks like a worse beat down than last year at this point. The only question left is how bad the final score will be and if BYU can salvage a little pride.
- BYU defense gets a three and out and the offense tries again. One first down then a punt.
- Dalton fumbles in next drive but TCU recovers.
- BYU forces a punt. Offense starts at about their own 27. Moves it to mid field. Hall gets called for intentional grounding and BYU must face 2nd and 27. Next play Jerry Hughes crushes Max on a sack. Fumble. TCU ball. BYU turnover #2.
- TCU marches in for another touchdown on short field. 38-7 TCU. The shellacking continues.
- BYU tries again. Harvey continues to be a real bright spot. BYU gets to the 10 then gets nailed with a huge holding penalty. Then gets nailed with a 15 offensive PI penalty. 2nd and 30.
- Color guy for Versus is incredibly annoying.
- BYU goes for it on 4th and 20 and it is not close. Now everyone just wants this thing to mercifully be over.
- Backup QB Riley Nelson comes in. No score.
- TCU is a lot better than BYU in 2009 and that is why they won. They have better athletes and were significantly faster than the Cougs. As ever, BYU can’t handle speed.
- I doubt BYU will be ranked after this week. Thankfully BYU can still beat Utah this year.
- The silver lining here for BYU fans is that TCU has a very good chance of surpassing Boise State in the BCS standings if they win out. That is good for the Mountain West because another BCS game helps and TCU is good enough to beat anyone in the country right now. Another BCS game win will do wonders for the chances of the Mountain West becoming an automatic qualifying league in a few years.