So I spoke in Church yesterday.
Here are some comments I got after my talk.
“Hillarious, as always!” – Teenager
“Do you do stand up, you should do stand up, your speech was just like a stand up routine.” – Sweet Old Widow
“Dude, you are a great public speaker” – Guy who dressed as a whoopy cushion for Halloween.
“Why didn’t you give the talk you wrote!?!” – Spouse
My talk was on the Book of Mormon being for our Day. I went a bit off of my topic, but I remember talking about:
- A brief comment that the children were not doing well with the switch to afternoon church, and missed their naps (as did their fathers) as an Ice breaker.
- The Old Testmant not being written for our day, and being worse than an R or X rated movie
- Jeffrey R. Holland’s Master Thesis on the over 3,000 textual changes in the different editions of the book of Mormon (including the change last year)
- The Expansion Theory of Book of Mormon translation, and Alexander Campbell’s “delusions”
- The Book of Mormon pointing to Modern Revelation, Jesus being the Christ, and Prophetic Authority
- The Book of Mormon being a guide that points us to the value of the Church and the need to participate in the church community
- A passionate argument my wife and I had while reading “3 Questions for a Frantic Family” where we decided that the core purpose of our family was “working together to be happy and become like God”, which I believe is also the purpose of our church family.
Not sure what was funny about any of that in hindsight. Â Sometimes I worry about being funny.